Assistive Devices Program
Toggle Financial Supports Menu

Assistive Devices Program

What is the Assistive Devices Program?

The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care runs the Assistive Devices Program(ADP) to help people who have long-term physical disabilities get needed equipment and supplies. In some cases ADP pays 75 per cent of the cost of items like orthopaedic braces, wheelchairs, and breathing aids.


In other cases, such as artificial limbs and breast prostheses, ADP contributes a fixed amount up to a maximum contribution.


For some kinds of supplies, such as ostomy and needles and syringes for insulin-dependent seniors, ADP pays an annual grant directly to the person. If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), you may be eligible to receive more money.


Who can apply for this help?

Any Ontario resident who has a long-term physical disability and a valid Health Card issued in his or her name.


Fact sheets on each category of equipment specify medical conditions people must meet to get help in paying for equipment.


Are there income limits for ADP assistance?

No. You are eligible for ADP whatever your income.


What types of equipment does ADP cover?

ADP covers the following categories of equipment:

·         Communication Devices

·         Diabetes Equipment & Supplies

·         Enteral Feeding Supplies

·         Hearing Aids

·         Home Oxygen

·         Insulin Pumps and Supplies

·         Orthotic Devices

·         Ostomy Supplies

·         Pressure Modification Devices

·         Prosthetic Devices (Breast, Limb, Ocular, Maxillofacial)

·         Respiratory Supplies and Equipment

·         Visual Aids

·         Wheelchairs, Positioning and Ambulation Aids

The fact sheet for each equipment category lists the devices and supplies eligible for ADP funding.


How do I apply for ADP assistance?

The steps are listed in the fact sheet or application form for each category. Everyone must start with an application or authorization form.


If a medical assessment is required, who does it?

Usually a medical doctor or health-care team which specializes in caring for people with your type of disability. After examining you, the doctor will describe or confirm your physical problem on the form.


What happens next?

Usually, your doctor will refer you to an "authorizer". This is a health-care professional registered with ADP. He or she is trained to work with people who have your physical condition.


The authorizer will assess whether you meet ADP funding criteria and help you decide which device is best for you. He or she will then describe on the form the equipment you need.


Some types of equipment, such as artificial limbs and certain communication devices, are complex to design. A team of skilled specialists has to assess your needs. In this case, you will be referred to a clinic approved by ADP. A member of the clinic team will act as an authorizer and complete the form for you.


After filling in the appropriate section, the authorizer gives you the form to take to a supplier to get your equipment. In some cases, the form is sent to ADP for approval before you purchase your equipment.


Where do I find a supplier of my approved equipment?

You can usually get your device from a supplier who is a registered vendor with ADP. However, if the device must be custom-made, you will be referred to a professional who is trained to make the device. These professionals are also registered with ADP.


What is a registered vendor?

A supplier who is approved by ADP. ADP-registered vendors agree to carry a wide range of products and have skilled staff to answer your questions. Some ADP-registered vendors can make a device designed to meet your special needs.


Can I get my equipment from a supplier not registered with ADP?

ADP covers most devices only if they are bought from a registered vendor. The few exceptions to this are explained in the fact sheets.


Who does the supplier bill for my equipment?

Registered vendors bill ADP directly for its part of the approved cost of your equipment. You pay your part directly to the vendor.


Do I own the assistive devices I get through ADP?

Most devices, yes. Some items are bought by ADP and lent or rented to clients. Information about this can be found in the fact sheets.


If I need to replace devices covered by ADP, who pays for them?

If your doctor or authorizer says your equipment is no longer suitable because of a change in your condition or size, ADP will contribute to the cost of replacing it.


If your equipment is worn out, beyond repair at a reasonable cost, ADP will pay up to 75 per cent of the cost of replacement at the end of a certain time period.


ADP will not pay for replacement of equipment that is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse before the minimum replacement period is up. Clients are encouraged to buy insurance to cover the cost of replacement in these cases.


Do forms have to be filled out to replace my equipment?

Yes. If the equipment is being replaced because of a change in your size or medical condition, you must visit your physician or authorizer. He or she will write the reason for the replacement on an authorization form. If the equipment is being replaced at the end of the specified replacement period, your doctor or authorizer must complete an authorization form.


Will my insurance company pay my share of the equipment cost?

Some insurance programs will. Please check your insurance policy.


What if I can't afford to pay my share of the equipment cost?

Help is available. A number of groups may pick up your part of the equipment expense. These include voluntary/charitable organizations (such as the Easter Seal Society or the March of Dimes), other provincial government programs, and some municipal social service departments. These groups may also contribute to the cost of devices not listed in the ADP manual.


ODSP, Employment Support clients, who seek payment for their part of the cost, must get approval from their ODSP counsellor before they order a device through ADP.


How do I find out more about the device I need?

This series of fact sheetsgives you details about many categories of assistive devices. Each fact sheet lists the equipment in a specific category. It also describes the assessment process and explains how to get the equipment.


Who should I contact if I have a question?

For information, write:

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care

Assistive Devices Program

7th Floor, 5700 Yonge Street

Toronto, ON M2M 4K5

Or call ADP:

Toronto 416-327-8804

Toll-free 1-800-268-6021

TDD/TTY 416-327-4282

TDD/TTY 1-800-387-5559

Fax 416-327-8192

Developmental Resource Centre Waterloo RegionSunbeam Centre