For Professionals and Educators
Not every child diagnosed under FASD will respond the same way to a strategy. What works today may not work tomorrow. Keep trying different strategies until you find what works for the student. It is important to keep in mind their developmental age as well as the fact that they have a brain-based invisible physical disability. It is important to structure their environment and be “one step ahead” of them to anticipate difficulties.
Resources for Educators
- What Early Childhoods Educators Need to Know about FASD: Healthy Child Manitoba has put together a resource for Early Childhood Educators.
- What Educators Need to Know about FASD: Healthy Child Manitoba has put together a resource for classroom teachers. The guide helps to plan for appropriate programming.
- Strategies Not Solutions is a booklet designed by The Edmonton and Area Fetal Alcohol Network.
- Provincial Outreach Program for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder : POPFASD is a British Columbia Ministry of Education provincial resource program whose mandate is to increase educators' capacity to meet the learning needs of students with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
Resources for health care providers and other professionals:
PLEASE VIST CAN FASD - a go to space for evidence based FASD information
- Sleep in Children with FASD for Physicians: Recent studies have shown that many children diagnosed under FASD will have difficulties with sleep. This tip sheet is designed for physicians.
- Baby Steps: Caring for Babies with Prenatal Substance Exposure: This booklet is a resource for parents and caregivers of babies who have been prenatally exposed to alcohol or other drugs.
- How to Ask the Question Regarding Prenatal Alcohol Exposure: Ensuring we ask the question about PAE needs to be Trauma Informed and Culturally Sensitive. Learn more tips about interviewing about PAE.
Justice related resources:
- FASD and the Criminal Justice System: A tip sheet for those working with those diagnosed under FASD and in trouble with the law.
- www.fasdjustice.ca - This site is designed for justice system professionals and others who want to understand more about FASD.
- FASD: Resources for Justice and Legal Professionals
- NEWS ARTICLE- Judge makes court instructions easier to understand for those with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
- FASD and Practice: Issues for Prosecutors